Tips For Protecting Your Skin From The Sun
If you suffer from dry, oily, or sensitive skin, you’ve probably been searching high and low for the best skin care regimen. With the cumbersome selection of skin care products on the market, it can be intimidating trying to decipher which cleanser won’t dry out your skin and which serum will help conceal wrinkles and blemishes. As if that wasn’t enough, we also have to worry about taking preventative measures when it comes to our skin’s sun exposure.
At Advanced Skincare Day Spa in New York, NY, we’re passionate about helping our clients find the best skin care products and facial treatments that will work for them. In this blog, we’re going to dive into some of the best ways to protect your skin from the sun.
Protect Your Skin From The Sun
It should come as no surprise that the sun is your skin’s worst enemy. While you may love the warmth and light that the sun provides on a warm summer’s day, when you expose your skin to harmful UV rays it can lead to skin damage. When the sun beams down on your skin, it depletes your skin’s ability to make natural lubricating oils. Sun damage can come in a few different forms, but the most common include:
- Dry Skin - As we mentioned above, sun-exposed skin gradually loses moisture and your body’s essential oils. This can make your skin appear dry or flaky on the surface which is never a good sign.
- Sunburn - There’s a good chance you already know what a sunburn feels like. This is a very common skin injury that occurs immediately after the skin has been exposed to too much UV radiation. The skin turns red and can be painful. In the most severe cases, you’ll notice tiny fluid-filled bumps on the surface of your skin (these are usually larger than blisters).
- Changes in Skin Collagen - Studies have found that too much sun exposure can actually change the amount of collagen in your skin. This can result in unsightly fine lines and deep wrinkles. You may also see thickened skin texture on the back of the hands and forearms.
Tips To Protect Your Skin From The Sun
You can help protect your skin from sun damage by doing a variety of things such as:
- Applying sunscreen before you go outside. It’s always wise to choose a water-resistant sunscreen that has a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. Try to look for sunscreen that protects against both UV-A rays and UV-B rays (UV-A rays penetrate the skin more deeply).
- Using a sunscreen chapstick on your lips with a protection factor of 20 or more. You don’t want to ignore your kissables when you’re out in the sun!
- Trying to limit your outdoor time when the sun is at its hottest (this is usually between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. in most parts of the United States.
Advanced Skincare Day Spa in New York
If you live in New York and you’re looking for a state-of-the-art skin spa that offers facials, mud masks, and more, stop by Advanced Skincare Day Spa today.